How to Send Additional Application Materials
Additional application materials should be uploaded to a secure Box folder linked here or sent directly to the SEASSI email (email@example.com).
Please use the standard naming convention of: LAST NAME_FIRST NAME_MATERIAL TYPE
Before sending in your application materials, please be sure you are submitting ALL that is required.
In addition to completing the general application, you will find below a checklist of required application materials for SEASSI as well as a list of important deadlines to remember. Transcripts and recommendations can come separately from your other application materials, but please be sure that we have all required materials by the appropriate deadline.
Additional Checklist Items
- Application fee of $25, payable online here
- Personal statement of career/academic plans (approximately 1-2 pages)
- Details your personal, academic, and professional goals for wanting to take part in the Southeast Asian Studies Summer Institute (SEASSI) for your desired language(s) of study. Be sure to include how you plan to meet the challenge of an intensive language learning environment and how you can personally contribute to this learning environment. In addressing the latter issue, you may discuss your interpersonal skills, your leadership skills, your ability to adapt to new and unexpected situations, and/or your interest in creating an environment in which each participant feels valued, respected, and surrounded by supportive persons. Please also feel free to share with us any other relevant background info that could impact your time on the program.
- One transcript from each university you have attended. Official or Unofficial OK. No screenshots or word documents.
- Statement of Financial Need (if you are applying for funding through the SEASSI or SEALC Tuition Scholarships)
- A maximum one-page statement of financial need that addresses the following: 1) A summary of major sources of income for academic study and the financial support needed to participate in SEASSI. 2) Other circumstances that demonstrate your need of support.
- Two Letters of Recommendation (if you are applying for funding through the SEASSI or SEALC Tuition Scholarships)
- Have your recommenders to send their letters directly to the SEASSI email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or to the Box link listed above.
- A preferred recommender will be someone who knows you well enough to be able to talk about your strengths, weaknesses, and accomplishments (typically an instructor, advisor, or supervisor). If you have taken previous language classes before and have someone that can comment to your academic/language learning abilities, that is preferred.
See below for deadline dates to get an idea of when other applications may be due.
- The 2024 FLAS Fellowship deadline is February 14, 2024
- The 2024 WISLI Tuition Scholarship deadline is TBD: late February or early March
- The 2024 SEASSI Tuition Scholarship, SEALC Tuition Scholarship, and the General SEASSI Application (no financial aid) priority deadlines are March 15, 2024
Potential applicants who miss the priority deadline should contact us at email@example.com to see if there is space on a wait list before applying.