- This event has passed.
Global Philippine Studies Group
July 25, 2022 @ 3:00 pm - 4:30 pm
An event every week that begins at 3:00 pm on Monday, repeating until August 8, 2022
Students in the Filipino language cohort are launching a Global Philippine Studies Group (GPS) for SEASSI 2022. The GPS is a newly-launched SEASSI student-led organization that offers an intellectual space for graduate students, undergraduates, faculty, staff, and members of the public to discuss new and critical scholarship on the Philippines, Filipinx America, and the global Philippine diaspora. GPS facilitates weekly reading groups, workshops, and events primarily for members of SEASSI 2022 at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. All are welcome.
Meeting Dates and reading list:
- Week 3: Thursday 7/7 at 4-5:30 PM CST
- Alfred W. McCoy. “An Anarchy of Families: State and Family in the Philippines”. Madison: University of Wisconsin Press, 2009
- Week 4: Monday 7/11 at 3-4:30 PM CST
- Barbara Gaerlan (1999) “The Movement in the United States to Oppose Martial Law in the Philippines, 1972-1991, An Overview.”
- Week 5: Monday 7/18 at 3-4:30 PM CST
- Oliver Charbonneau “Civilization Imperatives: Americans, Moros, and the Colonial World”. Ithaca: Cornell University Press, 2020
- Week 6: Monday 7/25 at 3-4:30 PM CST
- Rebecca Tinio McKenna. “American Imperial Pastoral: The Architecture of US Colonialism in the Philippines”. Chicago: The University of Chicago Press, 2017.
- Week 7: Monday 8/1 at 3-4:30 PM CST
- Joseph P. McCallus “THE MYTHS OF THE NEW FILIPINO: PHILIPPINE GOVERNMENT PROPAGANDA DURING THE EARLY YEARS OF MARTIAL LAW”
- Joy N Sales (2019). “#NeverAgainToMartialLaw: Transnational Filipino American Activism in the Shadow of Marcos and Age of Duterte,” Amerasia Journal, 45, no. 3: 299-315.
- Week 8: Monday 8/8 at 3-4:30 PM CST
- Angela Reyes (2020a). “Coloniality of Mixed Race and Mixed Language”. In H. Samy Alim, Angela Reyes, and Paul V. Kroskrity (eds) The Oxford Handbook of Language and Race, pp. 186-206. New York: Oxford University Press.