Applying to Teach at SEASSI
***Summer 2024 dates TBD***
All interested applicants will need to complete an application to the selected Position Vacancy Listing(s) through the Jobs at UW website. For detailed listings of the current job openings, please visit the Position Vacancy Listings (PVLs) linked below. Please read the PVL postings carefully and contact us if you have questions.
For Language Coordinators: Deadline to apply for SEASSI 2023 was January 25, 2023
For Lecturers (previously Instructors): Deadline to apply for SEASSI 2023 was January 25, 2023
Applications must be submitted through the UW-Madison online jobs portal. Required materials for the online portal will include:
- A cover letter
- An up-to-date curriculum vitae
- A statement of teaching philosophy
- Sample of teaching materials you developed (with English translation)
- List of three professional references, including your current supervisor
Please pay attention to the following when applying:
- Applications sent by mail or email will not be accepted.
- Please do not submit applications for languages other than those listed on the PVL.
- You must submit all application items (cover letter, CV, statement of teaching philosophy, Sample of teaching materials (with English translation), list of three professional references) in order to be considered for a position.
- Dates of hire are one week longer than the dates of SEASSI classes, as instructors are expected to participate in the entirety of the pedagogy training and preparation week prior to the start of the program.
Hiring of instructors is contingent upon sufficient enrollment. Class confirmations/cancellations are determined in the Spring. Consequently, it may not be until April that a final decision is made on your instructor application. If you have not heard from us, your application may be on hold until student enrollment numbers stabilize and we can make a more informed decision on hiring.
Eligibility for employment differs in requirements between Instructional Administrators and Lecturers. We encourage those interested in a position at SEASSI to review closely the minimum requirements of each position as listed in the PVL before applying to determine which best suits their experiences. You are welcome to apply, however, to both the Instructional Administrator and Lecturer positions.
A successful applicant will be responsible for ensuring eligibility for employment in the United States on or before the effective date of the appointment. For hired instructors requiring a visa for employment, we will assist in the visa application process by preparing the necessary documents proving your employment at SEASSI; however, it is at the discretion of the applicant to check all dates, requirements, and conditions of a current/or potential visa in order to be eligible for employment.
The salary range listed on the PVL is the minimum base rate on which the instructor’s salary for the summer session would be calculated. This range is determined based on the academic year rate in accordance with UW-Madison Title and Total Compensation. The actual compensation for this nine-week appointment would range between $11,000-$13,500, dependent on the offered position and applicant experience. More information on the Title and Total Compensation project can be found here.
SEASSI faculty are responsible for their own travel costs, accommodations, and living expenses. SEASSI will assist in providing resources to find housing/living accommodations for the duration of the appointment and will provide resources and assistance (as needed) with the transition to Madison.