It is our goal to assist as many students as possible to attend SEASSI. To that end, most Tuition Scholarships awarded are partial reductions of the program fee. The exact amount of funding for summer 2019 Tuition Scholarships will not be known until spring. However, we anticipate being able to offer a significant number of partial tuition scholarships that will reduce those students’ tuition costs to a range of $2000 to $3000.
All applicants to SEASSI are eligible to apply for Tuition Scholarships. The majority of these scholarships are awarded to graduate students, but outstanding undergraduates and professionals are also encouraged to apply. Eligibility for the Tuition Scholarship is not limited to U.S. citizens and permanent residents; international students are encouraged to apply.
All necessary information and materials for applying for a Tuition Scholarship are contained in the general application form; there is no separate Tuition Scholarship application form. All applicants must submit their application by email or hard copy to the SEASSI office at the Center for Southeast Asian Studies, University of Wisconsin-Madison. Applicants are responsible for ensuring that all application materials are complete and submitted on time.
Criteria for Selection
Applicants will be judged by the following criteria:
- Commitment to career relating to Southeast Asia or involving use of the language to be studied.
- Academic performance.
- Appropriateness of the applicant’s chosen program of academic study and experience to meet his or her stated goals.
- Fit with SEASSI program as determined by language and level of language proposed to be studied in order to ensure appropriate enrollments in some SEASSI classes.
**PLEASE BE AWARE: Because of the limited funds available, not all qualified applicants can be given awards.
- Applications are reviewed by a committee at the SEASSI host institution. This committee determines the applicants who will be offered Tuition Scholarships, and the amount of the awards and establishes an alternate list.
- Notification of awards and of rejection are sent out by the SEASSI Program Coordinator. Those offered an award must indicate acceptance no later than the deadline listed on the award notification letter. Those who have not indicated acceptance by this date will automatically have the offer withdrawn.